The classic chocolate layer cake is a luscious dessert irresistible to cocoa lovers - A beautiful culinary delight that envelops moist layers of cocoa cake with indulgent chocolate mousse.
Yankee Candle captures the delicious rich chocolate layer cake in a wax candle. This decadent scented candle from Eat Desserts First Collection is the true-to-life fragrance of sweet chocolate stacked layer by layer, fresh out of the oven. With layers of rich cake laden with cocoa and covered with a light chocolate mousse frosting... it’s simply to die for. Chocolate Layer Cake is available from Yankee.co.uk as a small tumbler or large jar, both with a cute scalloped lid to evoke the edge of a cake stand. The candle is also available in a decorative glass dessert dish with up to 30 hours of fragrance.
With the current home baking craze sweeping the UK as the result of the Great British Bake Off, we have included our favourite Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe; something you can eat! However, why not try our delightful scented candle as a calorie-free and guilt-free way of enjoying Chocolate Layer Cake.
Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe
• 100g (3½oz) butter
• 8 eggs
• 300g (10½oz) caster sugar
• 200g (7oz) plain flour
• 75g (2¾oz) cocoa powder
• 3tsp baking powder
• 1tsp vanilla extract
• ¼ teaspoon of salt
• 275g (9¾oz) dark chocolate
• 6 eggs - separated
• 175g (6oz) butter - softened
• 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
• Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
• Butter the sides of two cake tins and dust with flower
• Melt butter and set aside to cool
• Whisk eggs and butter until a thick consistency
• Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt then add vanilla extract and melted butter
• Pour mixture into the two baking tins and bake for 30 minutes
• Melt dark chocolate then remove from heat
• Beat egg yolks one at a time
• Beat in butter, vanilla extract and then leave to cool
• Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl until they form stiff peaks
• Fold in ¼ of the chocolate mixture then carefully fold in the rest
• Cool at room temperate
• Cut each cake in half, spread over mousse then sandwich each cake creating a layer effect.
• Use remaining mousse to cover the sides and top with chocolate curls